Tim Varlow who is the owner and director at Liquid Tv came by to give a lecturer on top tips while working in industry. The lecturer filled me with confidence and reassurance after the lecturer, he gave us top tips which were short and snappy and to the point.
Here are his top tips:
- Listen – The answer is always in the brief and we should keep our ears open to listen to what they like and suggest as this will be key.
- Ask yourself why, what, when, who. – these are the questions you MUST ask when tackling a brief, as you want the correct audience to view the work and do not want to offend anyone.
- The audience isn’t necessary to you. – I feel that this statement contradicted what you said previously but, I guess I have to look at it in another angle in the way of making something the audience would not have seen before but, leaving a lasting impression on them.
- Teamwork works. – It’s always necessary to be positive and be open to new ideas from other members of the group.
- Be prepared it wrong. – You must feel some sort of fear, as you won’t get the best work out if you don’t fear it.
- Work hard. – it’s is essential to work hard in every situation, even if it is a brief which you do not like.
- Have fun. – Having fun is essential when working in design, as the work can get repetitive and difficult when working on something for long periods of time.
- Keep Learning. – I feel this may one of best top tips, as software is changing all the time, and we must update ourselves to be able to work with new software to the highest of our abilities.
- Be nice. – Nobody likes to work with people who are intimidating and mean, as this can be a negative experience.
- Thou shalt not convert thy neighbours designs. – I think this means not to compare yourself to your friends as you are all unique in your own beautiful way.
- Keep your fingers crossed. – Have a little in your work and yourself and don’t sell yourself short.
Tim Varlow showed a piece of work he designed with Liquid Tv for the Euro’s 2016 in france. They first designed the animatic to show to FIFA to win the brief to make the final outcome, in which they successfully won.