In Mark’s session we started of by looking at Susan Kare, who was a Bitmap artist at Apple in the 80’s who designed many iconic icons, that are still used today.
Susan Kare Iconographer
We first started off by watching a video about Susan Kare.
I first started off by looking at items that I had around me, so, therefore, I could make bitmaps of them. I looked at drawing basic shapes, so, therefore, it was easier for me to draw designs later on in the unit.
I looked at ‘Food in Vogue’ as my point of reference for the fruits I used in my designs.
Here are some of the pages I looked at for reference.
I wanted to look at a variety of fruits and vegetables, as I wanted to look at the different shapes and colours, as I wanted a range of different vegetables and fruits.
On this particular page I looked at the marrow illustration, as I wanted to interpret this in the way of pixels.
I looked further into the items that I could draw. I looked at a book called “vogue food” and found images of different vegetables, which helped me to come up with some designs, as shown above.
I decided look at photographs of fruit and vegetables; I designed bitmaps of a chili, grapes, strawberry, marrow and mushroom.
Hand Drawn Drawings
These were my final designs for my bitmap art. I done 32X32 and 16×16 bitmap designs, as this is what was required in the brief.
I designed a computer software, which allowed me to design my bitmap designs on the computer accurately.
I made these icons, using the software I created; I done 32X32 bitmap designs, as this is what Susan Kare did while she was working at Apple.
I designed different kinds of vegetables and fruit, as I wanted different shapes and colours to play around with.
I chose the marrow as that the shape was different to all the other vegetables I was making into bitmaps. I had designed the strawberry in many different ways, as I felt that it could be improved in many different ways.
I started off by making the strawberry, but my teacher had told me it could be improved, so, I made a crown for the leaves and I also added a variety of shades of green.
I did not have a peach for the mushroom, so, I decided to use the colour pink, as it was the similar colour i could find, I had got some feedback on my mushroom, and I was told to change the stool colour and shape to make it look more like a mushroom; I have done my final designs below, based on the comments I received from both my peers and teachers.
I chose to make a strawberry and mushroom out the hama beads. I had a limit of using 4 colours for each design.